Nuff Nuff

Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Reason for Outrage at CFA Outage

People have been saying since the CFA outage yesterday that there are other means of determining impending fire threats. Unfortunately I don't agree.

IN February, We knew it was going to be a bad day, the media had prepared us for it being that - but if you've lived in the bush long enough - you don't need to be told - YOU KNOW.

From the moment I rolled out of bed in the morning, I checked the CFA website, I listened to 693, 1026 AND 774, switching between the stations, yet they really only had proper updates on the ½ hour, so that rules out radio mostly. Newspapers LOL, Internet – fine if you have power. So the ONLY other way to get information is via phone calls to people closer to the danger – it shouldn’t be that way

I understand and many other fire savvy people understand that EVERY media outlet is ALWAYS behind the times – they can’t keep up-to-date. But sites like the CFA are a first line of defence for the ordinary person – to give them a guide.

For example, The Kilmore fire – I could see the smoke in the distance – so I immediately referred to the CFA site – radio/TV had no inkling at that time – by the time the media got hold of the story – I already had the fire hoses out AND the neighbours organized

That is HOW important the CFA site is – and UNTIL the idiot pen-pushers realize this – we are stuffed.

(and this is WHY the CFA & Government recommend you LEAVE early if you are NOT planning on staying and defending - they can't guarantee you will be alerted in time)

I'll say it again and again and again - if you have NO INTENTIONS of defending your property - notify your neighbours and get the HELL OUT.

You are not just fighting for your life - you will be fighting for your sanity.



Victorian Lives at Risk.

Are You Prepared to Stay or Go?

Things NOT to do When Confronted by Fire?

Are You Prepared for a Bushfire?

The Rest of my Fire Blog - PLEASE READ

No comments: